Wednesday, September 29, 2010

When "life" sometimes gets crazy....

I've been silent for a few weeks..."life got crazy."

Well, that's a normal state of affairs, but this was crazier-than-usual, with health issues / surgery for my husband (who is normally incredibly healthy) - so, I've been in caregiver mode.

Sometimes when things like this happen, it's all you can do to "just hang on." Yet seeds still get planted, and your Creative Self stores away things for a more fertile time.

In the meantime, I came across something today I'd like to share. This came to me via the ASCAP Daily Brief (powered by The Dean's List). This is an excellent email newsletter, written by Dean Kay and available via ASCAP (www.ascap.com). The newsletter gives links to music news and articles; in this case, an article on musicians and social networking and a reference to (and interesting comment by) songwriter Leonard Cohen:

"In the magnificent volume Songwriters On Songwriting, in which Paul Zollo interviews legendary songwriters about their craft, Leonard Cohen describes his creative process: "It takes me months and months of full employment to break the code of the song ... I try everything to ignore it, try to repress it, try to get high, try to get intoxicated, try to get sober, all the versions of myself that I can summon are summoned to participate in this project, this work force." He proceeds with a tale of how it took him a decade to write Anthem, offering detailed explanations as to why he chose one word over another....

from http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/sep/23/music-social-networking-promotion-blogs

Something to chew on....